top of page

There are about 57 million small businesses and self-employed taxpayers in the United States, including:

· Corporations and partnerships with assets less than $10 million

· Sole proprietors

· Independent contractors

· Members of a partnership that carries on a trade or business

· Others in business for themselves, even if the business is part-time

· Gig workers (i.e., Uber/Lyft drivers, owners of Airbnb rentals, delivery services, etc.)

To get more tax information for businesses to help you meet your filing requirements, click here

To view more information from The Taxpayer Advocate Service for small business taxpayers click here to read the article dated March 27, 2023 "TAS Tax Tip: Small Business Filing and Recordkeeping Requirements".

To learn more information visit:

Contact your accountant for more information or if you do not have one, the SI SBDC for a referral.

Small Business Filing Requirements

Generally, the federal tax forms you will need to file vary depending on the type of business:

Business Entity - Type of Tax - Tax Forms

Sole Proprietor-Income Tax-Form 1040/1040SR Schedule C or F

Self-Employment Tax-Form 1040/1040SR Schedule SE

Estimated Ta-Form 1040-ES

Employment Taxes-Forms 940 and 941, 944 or 943

Partnership-Annual return of Income-Form 1065

Employment Taxes-Forms 940 and 941, 944 or 943

Partner in Partnership (Individual)-Income Tax-Form 1040/1040SR Schedule E

Employment Taxes-Form 1040/1040SR Schedule SE

Estimated Tax-Form 1040-ES

Corporation (C or S)-Income Tax – C Corporation-Form 1120

Income Tax – S Corporation-Form 1120-S

Estimated Tax-Form 1120-W (C-Corp Only)

Employment Taxes-Forms 940 and 941, 944 or 943

S Corporation Shareholder-Income Tax-Form 1040/1040SR Schedule E

Estimated Tax-Form 1040-ES

bottom of page